Acoustic Bogota

Artist Ross Dalziel's weblog for his Artists Residency at the Universidad de los Andes in Bogota, Colombia

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Welcome to the Blog for artist Ross Dalziel's residency at Universidad de los Andes







I have now been here for a week and am finally settling in I think and slowly getting to know the University and the City.

My Residency aims to find ways for sound based art practice to interact, collaborate and cross with Acoustics, Architecture and Urban Design.

Bogota is turning out to be a fascinating site when thinking about the dynamics and design of a city. I have been reading some books on Constant Nieuwenhuys work and the Situationist idea of drift via a lecturer here Andreas Burbano.







In many ways its almost as if Constant's drift and urban design is already made real in Bogata. Indeed many cities may follow this. You could think of all the overlayered drifting changing structures of Constant as not just physical structures, but economical, sociological and historical: many of these structures change overlap and shift in a contemporary city.

This is how I am approaching architecture, but using sound as some kind of modelling or thinking tool instead of drawings or physical models
I intend not to just record and process sound in a anthropological way or to say this is the sound of the city, or to simply map
sound locations. I hope to work out how sound can be used to understand a city or a place.




I met yesterday with Jaime Iregui a fascinating well known Bogota artist and talked about this and showed him some recent work, particularly my Awareness of Sound work. He's taking me on a tour round some sites in Bogota and I will record 'slices' of sound and produce some kind of interactive sound map. This will be a starting point for my work here and a way of introducing myself to students and lecturers at the University.

Jaime talked of thinking about sites in the city as contrasting clusters. I was reminded of the use of tonal or microtonal clusters in composition: a way of approaching whatever sound works I will make at the end of the residency.



Possible style of interactive map.


Universidad de Los Andes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home